Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wednesday quotes

1. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. --Oscar Wilde

2. Inspiration doesn't lie in the mud; it lies in the clean and wholesome life of the ordinary man. --Robert Frost

3. Real glory springs from the silent conquest of ourselves. --Joseph P. Thompson

4. Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity. And I am not sure about the former. --Albert Einstein

5. Money may buy the husk of many things, but not the kernel. It brings food, but not the appetite; medicine, but not health; acquaintances, but not friends; servants, but not faithfulness; days of joy, but not peace or happiness. --Henry Ibsen

1. Another one of the self-congratulatory quotes. I can't believe my younger self. On a different note, I wonder how the self-aggrandizement stopped. Probably around the time of the second broken engagement. I still think I'm awesome, but I no longer think I'm infallible and wacked with the "special" brush. Nothing like a little humility to take the pressure off.

2. One of the reasons Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets. He was a very complicated guy, AND he wrote The Mending Wall.

3. Almost like something you'd hear in General Conference, except for the "real glory" part. But the silent conquest of ourselves? I can absolutely hear President Faust or President Eyring saying something like that.

4. AE has a frustrated moment. :P It's also possible this was part of the Smug Quotes collection.

5.  I have spent a great deal of time thinking about money and career so I don't HAVE to spend time thinking about money and career. Ultimately, I am driven by my own laziness.

1 comment:

  1. Robert Frost is one of my faves too. I totally get the Mending wall quote!

    3) Great quote. I hear P. Eyring saying that too.

    5)I'm driven by my own laziness too.

    ReplyDelete