Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Quotes

1. Life is full of needle-hooks of experience which catch the attention when alrger matters are at stake, and they remain in the mind they are fogotten, so that in years later, it is a bit of gilding, or a certain smell , or the tone of clockt's striking which recalls one to a tragedy. --Evelyn Waugh

2. I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with snse, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. --Galileo Galilei

3. Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility. --James Thurber

4. One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries. --A. A. Milne

5. Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?  --Anon.


1. I love this because it describes so many moments of my life. The memory of several hard things are tied up with what I was staring at when I heard/processed it.
  • Hearing we were moving away from my childhood home at 13 = the blue shag carpet in the living room.
  • Breaking up with my first boyfriend because of religion = the curtains in his living room. 
  • Not invited to my brother's wedding = the mattress on the floor in my bedroom in Dallas.
2. Let's hear it for Galilei. No matter what questions I have, I know that the Lord made me and therefore wants me to think for myself.

3. I think this is one explanation of some humor, although it is not comprehensive.

4. Exactly!

5. Hee hee. :)

3 comments:

  1. Amen to Galileo! (if only more people subscribed to this school of thought the world would be a much better place.)
    Disorderly is the state of my world at the moment. Here's hoping some of the Winnie the Pooh vibes come my way.
    Katie, I'm with you in that handbasket (I always say I'll have more friends in hell anyway!)
    Well chosen my friend, thanks for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I do love that handbasket quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2) Ah, Galileo. I will someday think about him without singing along to the Indigo Girls. Maybe.

    4. I concur.

    5. I have that hanging up on my bedroom door in Vernal.

    ReplyDelete