Thursday, April 7, 2011

"The Two-Sided Man" by Rudyard Kipling

Much I owe to the Lands that grew-
More to the Lands that fed-
But most to Allah who gave me two
Separate sides to my head.

Much I reflect on the Good and the True
In the Faiths beneath the sun,
But most upon Allah who gave me two
Sides to my head, not one.

Wesley's following, Calvin's flock,
White or yellow or bronze,
Shaman, Juju, or Anglekok
Minister, Mukanuk, Bonze-

here is a health, my brothers, to you
However your prayers are said
And praised be, Allah, who gave me two
Separate sides to my head!

I would go without shirt or shoe,
Friend, tobacco, or bread,
Sooner than lose for a minute the two
Separate sides of my head.
--Rudyard Kipling

Kipling didn't have a problem with have more than one person contained within himself. I like this. I LOVE this. I adore Kipling. He doesn't get read much because of the racism - the guy who coined the phrase "white man's burden" isn't going to be honored when that idea is discreditid - but I think that's a shame, because he is an amazing, lyrical, beautiful, sensitive writer. His short stories are some of the most arresting I've ever encountered. His poetry has both beauty and humility. So much love for Kipling.

If we threw away all the artists who had traits we disapproved of, what would be left would be very, very meager. And probably lying.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree with you more. It is a huge shame that many people will not read Kipling just because the religion modernism(which is almost the official religion in some parts of the world) has dubbed him a sinner and its adherents suffer from wise monkey syndrome, and in so doing they fail the two plus two test. It is a real pleasure to read your remarks which put it better than I could, and far more succinctly. Who has not read, or refuses to read,Kim has deprived himself of a profound insight into the spiritual life of India and men in general.

    ReplyDelete