Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday quotes

1. Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is, most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most marriages take a high degree of toleration, most jobs are more often boring than otherwise.

Life is a lot like an old time rail journey...delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts interspersed only occaionally with beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride. --Jenkins Lloyd Jones

2. But remember, young man...you are not the first person who has ever been alone and alone...--F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. There is no terra firma. Eternal rest must be earned, sleep must be earned, dreams must be lived, and life must be dreamt. --Kurt Wolff

4. If you can't convince them, confuse them.  --Harry S. Truman

5. I would that my tongue could utter the thoughts that arise in me. --Tennyson



1. This quote became popular a few years ago when President Hinkley quoted it in a talk. I love it even more considering the source. Wasn't Lloyd Jones the Prime Minister of Britain during one of the world wars?
2. Fitzgerald is a tragic figure to me. He yearned for more than he ever had, and he never quite found it.

3. I don't know who this guy is and I can't for the life of me remember where I read this phrase, but it's another hopeful one, as far as I'm concerned. Because if something is not earned, then it can be easily taken away.

4. Thank you, Mr. President.

5. Wow - if Tennyson can't find the words...

No comments:

Post a Comment