Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Metamorphoses 3.16

Undoubtedly this is where Photis's story took place.
  • So this chasing after young men - and sending her slave to do it - is not a new habit of the magical woman.
  • Interesting that apparently her habits are well known. I need to finish reading those books on magic in the classical world to know how reluctantly magical women were tolerated. 
  • Photis is laying on the flattery pretty thick. I can't remember this part of the book well - I almost wonder if she is under orders. Lucius is apparently a good-looking guy, but is he really worth abandoning her escape plan?



3.16
"Nunc etiam adulescentem quendam Boeotium summe decorum efflictim deperit, totasque artis manus, machinas omnes ardenter exercet.
deperit
exercet
summe
decorum
efflictim
Even now she is madly in love with a certain comely, Boeotian teenage boy, and she fervently practices all her machinations, her whole bag of tricks on him.
audivi vesperi--meis his, inquam, auribus audivi--quod non celerius sol caelo ruisset noctique ad exercendas inlecebras magiae maturius cessisset, ipsi Soli nubilam caliginem et perpetuas tenebras comminantem.vesperi
ruisset
exerendas
inelecebras
maturius
cessisset
nubilam
caliginem
comminantem
Last evening I heard her - I heard with these my own ears,  I said - I heard her  threatening the Sun itself with cloudy mist and neverending darkness because the sun in heaven had not quickly fallen and had not sooner yielded in the night for the enticing charms of magic.
hunc iuvenem, cum e balneis rediret ipsa, tonstrinae residentem hesterna die forte conspexit, ac me capillos eius, qui iam caede cultrorum desecti humi diiacebant, clanculo praecipitavit ferre. balneis
tonstrinae
hesterna
caede
cultrorum
desecti
humi
clanculo
praecipitavit

When she herself returned from the baths, she yesterday by chance spied this young man settled in a barber's chair, and his hairs, which now were lying on the ground have been cut off in the slaughter of its brothers, she privately ordered me to carry them away.
quos me sedulo furtimque colligentem tonsor invenit, et quod alioquin publicitus maleficae disciplinae perinfames sumus, adreptam inclementer increpat:sThe barber discovered me secretly and furtively collecting them, and because we are generally notoriously known for evil practices, he snapped at me, caught red-handed:
'tunc, ultima, non cessas subinde lectorum iuvenum capillamenta surripere? quod scelus nisi tandem desines, magistratibus te constanter obiciam.'sThen, you lowest thing, are you not remiss repeatedly to steal the hairs of chosen young men? unless you finally end this crime, I will haul you firmly before the magistrates."
et verbum facto secutus, immissa manu scrutatus, e mediis papillis meis iam capillos absconditos iratus abripit.sAnd following the word with the deed, searching with a hand with a mission, angry, he immediately ripped the absconded hairs from my decolletage.
quo gesto graviter adfecta, mecumque reputans dominae meae mores--quod huiusmodi repulsa satis acriter commoveri meque verberare saevissime consuevit--iam de fuga consilium tenebam, sed istud quidem  tui contemplatione abieci statim.sAffected greatly by his action, and considering in myself the habits of my mistress--because I was repulsed enough bitterly by her way and she was accustomed to beat me savagely--immediately I was thinking of a plan to run away, but I immediately abandoned it indeed when I saw you.
"s,
"s,
"s,
"s,
"s,
"s,

No comments:

Post a Comment