Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"A Learned Man Came To Me Once" by Stephen Crane

A learned man came to me once.
He said, "I know the way, -- come."
And I was overjoyed at this.
Together we hastened.


Soon, too soon, were we
Where my eyes were useless,
And I knew not the ways of my feet.
I clung to the hand of my friend;
But at last he cried, "I am lost."

--Stephen Crane


All part of my cynicism about the wisdom of men. My favorite part of the MTC was learning about the source of authority - even if an expert is telling you something, where did he get that knowledge? And if you go on the wisdom of men, it ultimately comes down to what some guy somewhere thought, and even time doesn't make it truth. That would be the moment my desire for a philosophy minor died.

I still love reading philosophy, and I love learning history, and I'm very happy about what I did learn. I just am more than a little skeptical about belief systems based on the human being's ideas. I know that any belief system takes a leap of faith, and I suppose one of the reasons I'm a Latter-day Saint is because I trust what I think is the spirit more than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment