Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Five more quotes

The next five. These are slightly more embarrassing - I can only remember that this is what struck me before I turned 20.

Love is like a big ball of mustard - you wouldn't know what to do with it if you had it. --Molly Jorgensen
Molly is now Molly Oliver and has been married for over ten years. She's still my best source of comforting aphorisms.
_____
Good manners are made up of petty sacrifices. --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Amen to that. I think manners are the rules by which we make others feel at ease, which makes me suspect that most people have more than a smidge of social anxiety.
_____
Things that were hard to bear are sweet to remember. --Seneca the Younger
Seneca served as the tutor and then main advisor to the emperor Nero. He helped Nero kill the Dowager Emperess Agrippina, his mother, and in the midst of acting as Nero's consiglieri, Seneca wrote tragic, grisly plays and high-minded philosophy. He died when he disagreed with Nero one too many times and Nero ordered him to commit suicide. I think Seneca knew what he was talking about here.
_____
The empires of the future are the empires of the mind. --Winston Churchill
Very comforting to a geeky girl - finally an arena I felt comfortable competing in.
_____
You can always tell a real friend: when you have made a fool of yourself, he doesn't feel that you've done a permanent job. --Lawrence J. Peter.
Aw, I love that one. And here I need to reference Molly again.

No comments:

Post a Comment