Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Five Quotes

In perusing my planner, I realized again that poetry is only about half of the words in that section, and that includes Prufrock. The half is favorite quotes, so those are going here as well.

Wisdom is found on the desolate hillside, El-ahrairah, where none comes to feed and on the stony bank the rabbit scratches a hole in vain. --Richard Adams, Watership Down
I need to read that book again. It is truly, truly excellent.
_____
Ubi Romani solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant. --Cornelius Tacitus
Whoa - serious self awareness from THE Roman historian. It means "Where the Romans create a wasteland, they call it peace."
_____
Someday, when we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tide and gravity, we will harness the energies of love. Then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire. --Rene de Chardin
_____
Zeal without knowledge is fire without light. --Thomas Fuller
Lots more fire quotes where those came from.
_____
And it is the privilege of man to work for fruits beyond his immediate reach, and to adjust his life not in slavish conformity to the examples of some present success or even to his own prudent past, limited in its aspiration, but to an infinite future bearing in its heart the ideals of our higher expectations. --Tagore

I think the quotes are going to be listed in order. The poetry was everywhere, but I'm curious to see if there was a linearity as to what struck me when regarding trenchant words. Having said that, although I recorded the Tagore quote back when I was 18, it still makes me want to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment