Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Metamorphoses 3.13-14



Thoughts about this passage:
  • Apparently nothing cures a crying jag like the chance to impress a girl. Lucius continues to be an emo playboy.
  • After translating the last paragraph, it occurs to me that I might not post the next passage on the blog.
  • More of curiosity and caring leading to...something. Lucius is driven by his desires and pursues them indiscriminately, and Metamorphoses seems to be of the "curiosity killed the cat" mindset. This desire for Photis is going to go badly for him.  

 LatinVocabularyTranslation
3.13
Raptim denique paupertina Milonis cenula perfunctus, causatusque capitis acrem dolorem, quem mihi lacrimarum adsiduitas incusserat, concedo--venia facile tributa--cubitum, et abiectus in lectulo meo, quae gesta fuerant, singula maestus recordabar,
causatus
adsiduitas
incusserat
venia
maestus
Having hurriedly completed the measly dinner of Milo finally and pleading as an excuse the bitter pain of my head, which my unceasing tears had pounded , I withdrew--with permission easily granted--to my bedroom, and throwing myself down on my bed, I sadly remembered each thing which had happened,
quoad tandem Fotis mea--dominae suae cubitu procurato--sui longe dissimilis advenit; non enim laeta facie nec sermone dicaculo, sed--vultuosam frontem rugis insuregentibus--adseverabat.quoad
procurato
dicaculo
vultuosam
rugis
insuregentibus
adseverabat
until finally my Photis--the bed of her mistress having been attended to--came in not at all like her normal self; for she had neither a happy face or bubbly speech, but--with wrinkles surging across her grimacing face--she had a stern expression.
cunctanter ac timide denique sermone prolato, "Ego," inquit, "ipsa confiteor ultro, ego <origo> tibi huius molestiae fui,"cunctanter
prolato
confiteor
ultro
Finally, with her speech brought forth timidly and hesitantly, she said, "I myself admit freely, I was the source of the prank on you,"
et, cum dicto, lorum quempiam sinu suo depromit mihique porrigens, "Cape," inquit, "oro te, et de perfida muliere vindictam--immo vero licet maius quodvis supplicium--sume.lorum
quempiam
sinu
depromit
porrigens
sume
quodvis
and, with this speech, she pulled out a strap from her lap and, stretching it out to me, said, "Take it, I pray you, and gain vindication from a wicked woman, indeed truly even a bigger torture if you wish.
nec tamen me putes, oro, sponte angorem istum tibi concinnasse. dii mihi melius, quam ut mei causa vel tantillum scrupulum patiare.sponte
angorem
tantillum
scrupulum
patiare
Nevertheless, don't think, I pray, that your awful distress was brought about willingly. May the gods give me something better than that because of me you might suffer even a tiny bit of anxiety.
ac si quid adversi tuum caput respicit, id omne protinus meo luatur sanguine. sed quod alterius rei causa facere iussa sum, mala quadam mea sorte in tuam reccidit iniuriam."respicit
sorte
And if your head has reference to something of adversity, let it at once atone for it with my blood. But what other thing I was orderd to do for the purpose of the prank, it fell to my fate that a certain evil thing turned out to be harmful to you.
3.14
Tunc ego familiaris curiositatis admonitus, factique causam delitiscentem nudari gestiens, suspicio:
suspicio
delitiscentem
admonitus
gestiens
Then I, having been nudged by familiar curiosities and eager to lay bare the hidden cause of the dead, reply:
"Omnium quidem nequissimus audacissimusque lorus iste, quem tibi verberandae destinasti, prius a me concisus atque laceratus interibit ipse, quam tuam plueam lacteamque contingat cutem.lorus
nequissimus
verberandae
destinasti
concisus
laceratus
interibit
plumeam
lacteam
contingat
cutem
"Indeed  the most vile and audacious of all is that darn strap, which you intend to strick with, before it will perish, sliced and diced up by me, it touches your milky, feather-soft skin.
sed mihi cum fide memora: quod tuum factum scaevitas consecuta in meum convertit exitium? adiuro enim tuum mihi carissimum caput: nulli me prorsus ac ne tibi quidem ipsi adseveranti posse credere, quod tu quicquam in meam cogitaveris perniciem.convertit
consecuta
adiuro
prorsus
adseveranti
cogitaveris

But to me with faithfulness remember: what deed turned savageness into my subsequent destruction? For I swear by your most dear head that I am able to believe nothing wholly and indeed even you, being serious, that you intended anything whatsoever towards my destruction.
porro meditatus innoxios casus incertus vel etiam adversus culpae non potest addicere."porro
meditatus
innoxios
casus
addicere
Moreover, uncertain or even adverse consequences care not able to assign blame to innocent intentions."
Cum isto fine sermonis oculos Fotidis meae udos ac tremulos et prona libidine marcidos iamiamque semiadopertulos adnixis et sorbillantibus saviis sitienter hauriebam.fine
udos
tremulos
marcidos
iamiamque
semiadopertulos
sorbillantibus
saviis
sitienter
hauriebam
With this end of my speech, the eyes of Photis wettened and trembled and were eager, willing, and languid with desire and already half shut. I thirsted for them and drank them up with vehement and hungry kisses.
....

No comments:

Post a Comment