Tuesday, September 13, 2011

From "Epigrammata" by Ennius and CIL I.2

A few epigrams I needed to translate for class. They explicate some of the history of elegiac poetry. Ennius was an early elegiac poet, while Scipio Hispanus was from an illustrious family.

 

From Epigrammata by Ennius

Aspicite o cives senis Enni imaginis formam,
Hic vestrus panxit maxima facta patrum.
Nemo me lacrimis decoret nec funera fletu
Faxit, cur? volito vivos per ora virum.
Look closely, citizens, at the statue of the face of
old Ennius, this garment settled with the greatest
deeds of the father. No one adorns me with tears
nor makes my funeral with weeping, and why?
I live lives through the mouths of men.
A sole exorienta supra Maeotis paludes
Nemo est quo factis aequiperare queat.
Si fas endo plagas caelestum ascendere cuiquam est.
Mi soli caeli maxima porta patet.
From the lonely dawn above the swamp of Maeotus,
There is no one who is able to become an equal
through deeds. If he does, it is divine will that ascends
him to heaven above his wounds. The greatest gate to
my only heaven stands open.

CIL I.2 15=Bucheler, CE 958

Cn. Cornelius Cn. F. Scipio Hispanus/pr. aid. cur. q.tr.mil. II,X vir sl. iudik/X vir sacr. fac.

Virtutes generis mieis moribus accumulavi,
Progeniem genui, facta patris petiei.
Maiorum optenui laudem, ut sibei me esse creatum
Laetentur: stirpem nobilitavit honor.
I have added to my habits virtues of a kind,
I gave birth to children who come after,
I sought for the deeds of my father.
I held for the praise of my ancestors, so
that they are gladdened that I am born from them:
honor ennobles a family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment