Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday quotes

1. Not to go back is somewhat to advance, and men must walk, at least, before they dance. --Alexander Pope

2. True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behaviors. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior. --Pres. Boyd K. Packer, Oct. 1986

3. Friendship is a delicate combination of admiration, trust, empathy, two forks and one dessert. --Leslie Jensen

4. The stronger sex is really the weaker sex because of the weakness the stronger sex has for the weaker sex. --Anon.

5. Happiness makes up for in height what it lacks in length. --Robert Frost.



1. Maybe Alexander Pope was the Oscar Wilde of his day. This is a great quote, because it gives permission to make progress slowly. It's all on the way to dancing.

2. One of the reasons I love Pres. Packer. I wish I could remember the other reasons - I know they are there.

3. Leslie was my roommate my sophomore year of college. I wanted to be better friends with her than I was, and that was the year it took me almost six months to figure out I was trying to be friends with the wrong roommate - Molly is a much better friend, but she's quiet at first, and so I couldn't tell.

4. I HATE this quote, which is why it is in here. What this is referring to is soft power. Soft power is NOT stronger than hard power, and quotes like this are an affection where people pretend that the one who has to seek influence through wiles and pouts actually has more power than those who are in the position to be persuaded. Even if you do accept that men are helpless against the eye-batting of women, that only means that women could never be secure, because they were prevented from making their own security and any second someone with better eye-batting skills might take away what they had. It's a horrible position to put people in, that of an illusion of power when it is only the permission to beg.

5. Happiness can have a long length as well. This quote makes me sad for Frost. But at the time I wrote it down, it felt true for me as well.

2 comments:

  1. I've got a "complete" book of Robert Frost poems that I've slowly been working through. Pretty powerful stuff, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KP:

    The full poem gives a better sense of Frost's meaning-- here's a link:

    http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2010/03/26

    ReplyDelete