Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wednesday Quotes

1. Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures. --Jessalyn West

2. Imagination is more important than intelligence. --Albert Einstein

3. The great weight of the unspoken left them little to talk about. --Tennyson

4. Don't give up. Moses was once a basket case. --Brother Ogletree's quotes

5. But all three of them had to lose things in order to gain the other thing. Will had lost his shell and his cool and his distance, and felt scared and vulnerable, but he got to be with Rachel; Fiona had lost a big chunk of Marcus, and she got to stay away from the casualty ward; and Marcus had lost himself, and got to walk home from school with his shoes on. --Nick Hornby, About a Boy


1. This quote encapsulates most of why I love stories so much. You ask someone a direct question, and you'll get the answer they think you want to hear. You listen to the stories people tell and love, and you'll discover what they value. This works on a societal scale as well.

2. Yay, Einstein! I don't know about more, but I do think intelligence is nothing without imagination behind it. That doesn't mean just daydreaming your way into Narnia - every innovation must be dreamed up first. Maybe intelligence provides the method to get there.

3. Another quote from the great poet that hints that even language has its limits. I do love this one - I know I've sat in silence before because all I could think of was that which I could not say.

4. Brother Ogletree was the male half of the missionary couple in Detroit. I loved them. I got a blessing from Elder Ogletree about family stuff, and the lampshade on my lamp at work came from them. I needed one, and Sister Ogletree hear that and brought the shade from their lamp at home. It was care and attention at a time when I felt I had neither from any other source. I'll always remember and love them.

5. Nick Hornby writes stories about growing up for adult hipsters. I LOVED this book. I loved the movie, too. I like this quote because it exemplifies some of the cost of decisions - there is a cost to everything, including not changing. All the things those characters lost was really worth something, and so is what they gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment