Monday, July 18, 2011

Love, Home, and Healing quotes

1. Odi et amo. Quare id faciem fortasse requiris. Nescio sed fieri sentio excrucior. --Gaius Catullus (I hate and I love. Why do I do this, you might ask? I don't know, but I feel it happening, and I am tormented.)


2. There is a time for departure even when there is no certain place to go. --Tennessee Williams


3. If you are ever called upon to chasten a person, never chasten beyond the balm you have within you to bind up. --Brigham Young


4. "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in."  'I should have called it something you somehow hadn't to deserve."  --Robert Frost, The Death of the Hired Man


5. Cause timendi est nescire. --Seneca  (The cause of fear is not knowing.)


1. Catullus! Tormented, passionate love poetry. So much drama. So much not fun sounding.

2. This round of quotes is more recent, and this resonated with me because of a couple times. When I graduated from college and realized I had to leave Utah - there was no place for me there. And also, when my online community broke up a few years ago. I didn't have anything to replace it at the time, but the community itself was gone. Very, very sad, but inevitable.

3. I LOVE Brigham Young. When we started reading the prophet manuals in Relief Society and Priesthood meetings about a decade ago, Brigham Young was the first one, and it was, pardon me, a revelation. I especially enjoyed his humility, humility about his own discipleship. He seemed to take very seriously the duties God placed on him, and he didn't seem to take for granted either his responsibilities or his success in fulfilling them. Quotes like this make me think that Brigham Young thought carefully and long on how to best be a leader and a disciple. And this is a great quote.

4. Oh my stars, I have cried over this quote so many times. My home is the one I made.

5. This is usually translated "The cause of fear is ignorance" but I don't  think that is quite right. nescire is an infinitive, not a noun. Ignorance to me implies a failure of curiosity, and it feels like a permanent state, barring willful action. But not knowing - that implies to me that the person fearing would very much like to know, but that's being denied him or her. I relate very much to this quote because the only thing that REALLY throws me off my groove is ambiguity about the future. I can handle anything as long as I know what's coming, but if I don't even know what's coming, how can I prepare for it? So something is coming and I don't know what, so when it does I won't be ready, and yeah, that's really scary. I much prefer battening down the hatches to bailing out in a storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment