Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Five more quotes

1. Oh that I could go, yet stay. Have tomorrow, keep today. Cherish, hold my yesterday. My yesterday, now treasured dear, was once tomorrow, seen with fear. --Kimber Ricks.

2. You cannot run from weakness. You must sometime either fight it out or perish, and if that be so...why not now, and where you stand? --Robert Louis Stevenson

3. It is sadder to find the past again and find it inadequate to the present than it is to have it elude you and remain a harmonious conception of memory. --F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. This life is a test, it is only a test. If it were not a test, we would have been given instruction on where to go and what to do. -- via Jenny

5. The advantage of a classical education is it enables you to despise the wealth it prevents you from achieving. --Russel Green



1. So, so many times I have wished for this. Pretty much every time a big change happens that I can't control. And those I can. So almost all the time, really.

2. My motto. I love this quote.

3. Aw, Fitzgerald seems so sad much of the time. This is another one of his yearning, longing sort of quotes. I like his quotes and his words better than most of his books - the only one I really like the Great Gatsby, although I haven't read the short stories. I reread Gatsby recently and actually couldn't finish every word - it is TRAGIC. It is tragic on every level. Tragic that Gatsby longed for ephemera. Tragic that Daisy sticks with a brute. Tragic that so many people died through other's carelessness. Tragic that so many people value themselves so little. Just tragic all the way around, and about 2/3 in I couldn't take it any more and skipped to the end.

4. This quote has not stood the test of time. It sounds dumb to me now, and I suspect it only made it in in the first place because of how much Jenny wanted to contribute something to the planner.

5. Heh. Erudite sour grapes. This quote is always funny to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment