Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday's Quotes

1. If you can't stand the coldness of my sort of life, and the strain of it, go back to the gutter. Work till you are more a brute than a being; and cuddle and squabble and drink till you fall asleep. Oh, it's a fine life, the life of the gutter. You can feel it through the thickest strain; you can taste it and smell it without any training or any work. Not like Science and Literature and Classical Music and Philosophy and Art.
--George Bernard Shaw in Pygmalion

2. People who think they know everyhing are very annoying to those of us who do. --Anon.

3. The reason the all-American boy preers beauty to brains is the all-American boy can see better than he can think. --Farrah Fawcett Majors

4. Consistency is the measure of our desire. --?

5. Talent is not as rare as the need to express it or the stength to handle the rejection. --Barbara Hershey


1. This is almost certainly Prof. Higgins talking. It is a bit, more than a bit, self-congratulatory, but I'd like to think I also grabbed it because so many of the really great things are HARD. It's so much WORK to be able to participate in the grand creative human dance.

2. Okay, I'm becoming annoyed with my teenage self and her ego. Even if it was self-aware.

3. That this was said by Farrah Fawcett is quite telling. I comforted myself with this quite several times before I figured out that self-confidence elevates "fine" into "attractive."

4. I don't know who said this, but I'm thinking I heard it at General Conference. I'd guess either President Hinckley or President Packer, both of whom I adore.

5. Oh my stars, the story of my creative life.

No comments:

Post a Comment