Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tibullus 3.2

Qui primus caram iuueni carumque puellae
eripuit iuuenem, ferreus ille fuit;
That man who first ripped away the young
man from the love of him and of his girl,
he was made of iron;
durus et ille fuit, qui tantum ferre dolorem,
uiuere et erepta coniuge qui potuit.
And he was harsh, he who was able to bring
such sorrow, and he who was able to live
with a wife having been stolen away.
Non ego firmus in hoc, non haec patientia nostro 5
ingenio: frangit fortia corda dolor;
I am not firm in this respect, there is no
tolerance in my character:
sorrow shatters stronger hearts;
nec mihi uera loqui pudor est uitaeque fateri,
tot mala perpessae, taedia nata meae.
There is shame to me to speak true things and
I confess that so many evils are born as
the boredoms of my life.
Ergo cum tenuem fuero mutatus in umbram
candidaque ossa supra nigra fauilla teget, 10
Therefore, when I will have been changed into
an airy shadow and `black embers cover above
my bleached bones,
ante meum ueniat longos incompta capillos
et fleat ante meum maesta Neaera rogum;
before my funeral pyre might come a disheveled
woman with long hair and grieving Neaera cries
before my cremation;
sed ueniat carae matris comitata dolore:
maereat haec genero, maereat illa uiro.
But she might come accompanied by the grief
of a beloved mother:  the latter grieving for a son,
 the former for a husband.
Praefatae ante meos manes animamque precatae 15
perfusaeque pias ante liquore manus,
They addressed a preliminary prayer to my shade,
and they prayed to my spirit and first drenched
their dutiful hands with water,
pars quae sola mei superabit corporis, ossa
incinctae nigra candida ueste legent
She who alone will overcome is part of my body,
those dressed in a black cloak collect my
bleached bones
et primum annoso spargent collecta lyaeo,
mox etiam niueo fundere lacte parent, 20
And first sprinkle my collected bones with
old wine, and even next let them prepare to
drench with white milk,
post haec carbaseis umorem tollere uelis
atque in marmorea ponere sicca domo.
After which, let them prepare to take away
the liquid with linen cloths and to place me,
when dry, in my marble home.
Illic quas mittit diues Panchaia merces
Eoique Arabes, diues et Assyria,
Then incense be established which rich
Panchaia sent and Eastern Arabia, and
rich Assyria,
et nostri memores lacrimae fundantur eodem: 25
sic ego componi uersus in ossa uelim.
and let tears remembering of me come
forth in that same place: thus I would like
to be buried when turned into bones.
Sed tristem mortis demonstret littera causam
atque haec in celebri carmina fronte notet:
But let the inscription of  death establish the sad
occasion and note these verses on its famous face:
LYGDAMVS HIC SITVS EST: DOLOR
HVIC ET CVRA NEAERAE,
CONIVGIS EREPTAE, CAVSA
PERIRE FVIT 30
HERE LIES LYGDAMUS: HIS HEART-
RENDING LOVE FOR NEAERA, THE
WIFE TAKEN FROM HIM, WAS THE
CAUSE OF HIS DEATH.

1 comment:

  1. Great translation! The best one I've found. Are there any good Tibullus 3.3 translations?

    ReplyDelete